Sunday, April 10, 2011

The "R" Word

I recall taking my then 85 year old father to visit a retirement home.  His health was in decline and being a practical sort, he knew he couldn't continue living on his own much longer.  He dutifully toured the facility and, ever the gentleman, complimented the administrator on the decor and amenities.  As we left, he turned to me and said "it's a real nice place but, honey, everyone there is OLD."

A few months later, he gave up his condo and moved into the retirement home.  He adjusted rapidly and was soon encouraging others to make the move to assisted living.  He was genuinely enthusiastic about everything - the food, the staff, the other residents.  He would always conclude "of course, they're all much older than me."

For the past three years or so, I have been cautiously, and with some reluctance, wading into retirement.  Having spent the prior two decades dipping my foot into the career pool, there was not a significant change in my daily routine.  But with my son's graduation from high school and the move to the farm, it seems I've finally taken the plunge.

I've had the feeling of treading water for the past several months - it's a relief to recognize just what pond I've landed in.  I've joined the legion of retirees.

Like my father, I want to add the disclaimer that I'm much younger than everyone else.

3 comments:

  1. Much younger! "Retire" is a much more active verb than it used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NEver "retire" - the word suggests loss of spirit to me. Rather, recline, step back and enjoy life more..
    Of course, easier said than done. I am not very good at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete